And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sweetly Southern

My mouth sometimes gets me into trouble. I'm not of those short, self- proclaimed feisty girls that gets into trouble with my mouth combined with my opinions. And typically, if I spoke to quickly and denied utilizing that filter nonsense, I immediately regret my comment or have an afterthought that it wasn't a lady-like comment. AKA "that's not something a proper southern woman would say!"

Southern hospitality does indeed exist. Although the hospitality may not be genuine, ladies and gentlemen pride themselves in being civil and witty without ever losing their temper. Always assisting, smiling, comforting. I've decided it stems from our upbringing with emphasis on Christianity and the morality involved in a Christian lifestyle.

Here are some situations where my initial thoughts are different than what I proceed to do because the thought of a "proper lady" alters my course of action.

For example,
A friend gets something (dirt, a fly, whatever) in her drink. My first reaction is "Alright, go get yourself another drink." But, alas, a southern belle must cater to her guests with a bright smile and apologize for the mishap.

A car cuts me off, nearly hitting my car on the highway. Human reaction: What a @$$hole! I should flip him off.." SUPER human belle reaction: "Utter mistake, must have something on their mind and not have seen me. Hope they are okay."

My roommate suggests a cake made from a box. Being raised with a four course home-cooked meal every night growing up by the woman who raised me, I am half way appalled at the idea. "Why wouldn't we just make it from scratch? We have all the ingredients and it will taste so much better." Not a normal thought for the modern American woman.

It seems like efficiency and personal benefit have overridden the basic principals of assisting others and always being kind to all. As much as I am a believer in a progressive society and options for women not to be "barefoot and pregnant," I do also cling to my upbringing and the characteristics instilled in me to be a loving, compassionate, feminine Christian with a purpose entirely to "love, hope, and forgive" as my dad always told me.

To combining tradition with progression... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment